Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Struggles of a College Student

Days and months go by and you start to get older and wiser, when you start to learn about the world better. What makes you weak, can only make you much stronger, also goes in the same catchphrase. It also applies with my college life, i know a lot of people can relate to this, or some may not. There are people out there that have parents that pay through every semester of college so that you do not have to get that nagging call from financial aid saying you owe them money for your loan, or you have the people who cheated their way through high school, and somehow are rewarded government money, but do not look at it as a blessing, and will use the same traits they did in high school to pass. All in all, everything that i have been through in college thus far in the 3 years completed has been much of an experience. It has made me grown into the adult i am today. When we are in grades K to 12, we do not have an understanding of the education system as our parents are the one handling it, and it all comes from taxes, but college is a whole different ball game that is rewarding in the end, but costly. Financial aid knows that, and takes advantage of the situation on students that they know will have a hard time paying, its not about the education to them, it is simply about the money. Ever since i was 18, coming off a high school environment, i did not know this system, Financial aid was new to me, it brought on many frustrations in the first year of my college. First, i had to leave my first semester because of health reasons, and financial aid was not pleased with this as i go punished for one not the semester after but the summer semester. The semester i was trying to get ahead and graduate, they dropped me from my course. Because they thought i owed them money when i didn't. When seeing them, you could tell they weren't very pleased that i had dropped, the fall semester term, because it had cost them money. Since it cost them money, it cost me my education. I was so mad at the dismissal, that i wrote a long letter to the admissions stating my displeasure and had a long argument with him over the phone, long story short, i got reinstated back to the school only to leave because i wasn't happy with the direction of my major. But thats not all the financial woes I've had, But the experience at Montgomery County Community College was an experience for me  and made me more stronger as a person and as an adult. But now i think I've reached more of a stepping stone coming to Metropolitan Career Center, Three semesters I've been here for, and the two semesters went great, financial aid was nice, everything was going great. Until, the rude awakening of January 4,2011. I returned to the school, only to be terminated for missed payments that i was un-notified about. It left my relationship with the school, on a sour note. This school that i went to, over other options a school that treated me well for over a year, had done this to me. It is not the greatest school in the world, and the only thing i love about the school, and made me tolerate it till this day is the teachers. When i came back after being terminated, it showed how money is the only thing on this schools mind, as the attitude changed towards me,with people giving me dirty looks and showing their displeasure in having me be there, i felt like an outcast, and still do.I didn't feel the way i felt when i entered the school last year, the warm fuzzy feeling of motivation i had when they told me i was accepted.That feeling was gone.Long gone. Now i was only a student being treated like a slave that owes them money. I am a loan student and they are making me pay while i am in school every week. If i don't, i will be terminated again. Now coming to the end, It makes me happy i am leaving, i have the same feeling i had when i entered the school, except i am not graduating. I have a lot of displeasure with the school but it taught me a life lesson, i put a lot of effort in getting down there. There were days when i was sick to my stomach and i rode the train all the way down there just to get to class and not miss anything. But i am not bitter, being 21 now, learning the school system this way has taught me to be a better person. Accepting Gwynedd Mercy's acceptance for the fall, i reviewed my financial aid and now i do not always depend on my mom for help with filling out the papers. Because now college has taught me a life's lesson, a big life's lesson, As a kidney transplant patient, and as a middle-class student. When it comes to money and your education, depend on yourself not financial aid, they don't care about your success, Only the ones close to you do..


Sincerely Yours..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment