Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Entry 7:Every new ending,starts a new beginning

"Always make the best of the worst situations" if I didn’t leave by that quote, I don’t know where my head would be during my kidney transplant. I probably wouldn't be sane. But it's something I had to go through, in reality it didn't actually hit me that it was happening until the day it actually happened. I had only been on dialysis for two months and I made sure to put my name on the list before I turned 18, so I was at the top. The call I got on new year’s eve that I was getting a new kidney turned out to be untrue but then, 3 weeks later, the real call came in. It was January 26, 2008 at 5 30 am on a Saturday when my doctor called me to tell me they had found a kidney for me in Delaware from a yet unloving donor. I was happy I would live but scared because who knows what would happen when I get on that table. Will I be alive after? Or dead? Those thoughts kept running in my mind. As we got to the hospital, I got my treatment of dialysis, missed from the day before from what would be the last day I hung out with my friends. I figured if it's 50\50 going in at least I would have spent it around good people. I know I wasn't supposed to think like that, but I was 18 I was scared, you would think I would be used to it because of cancer, but I wasn't I was older now. They took me to icu to get me ready I tried sleeping but I was too scared I just kept thinking what would happen when I get in surgery. By the time midnight came around, the kidney had arrived. My auntie, mom, and dad said their goodbyes to me before I went in. I started to cry inside and out but I still try to keep positive. The surgery took them 7 hours to complete but I survived, but with consequences. When I woke up I felt so much pain and I don't remember much I was on so much pain medications. I went through a lot going into this surgery no one wouldn't understand. There were times I felt snakes were crawling all over my body and they were not, I have scars that you would think are bullet wounds, I’ve had fevers so high you would think how is he alive, I was on life support, and worst of all, I was in a coma. The painful thing to hear is my mom telling me how she cried and was praying for me and I didn't know about it. But through it all, the 6 months in the hospital I stayed positive hoping one day I'll get out and that my new kidney would be stable. I think the hardest challenge for me is being paralyzed, being weak and learning how to walk again. I had to use a walker and a cane to help support myself. I couldn't even turn myself over to sleep. It was a day to day process that payed off when I walked up those steps to get my diploma. Don't take your life for granted at all and even when the tough gets bad make the best of it. I'm not giving you a sob story and for you to feel sorry this is my life story, it’s what I live and I never got this far for people to give me a free ride. So remember "always make the best of the worst situations" take my situation for example and remember that.

Sincerely yours...


No comments:

Post a Comment